Friday, March 28, 2008

Everything you wanted to know about... what was I talking about?

Email.

There's so much expressed in that one little compound word. To how many people reading this does this sum up almost the entirely of your job? Or your life?

People who don't know how to work that crazy YouTube have email. Our entire society has become organized by email. You know how frustrating it is when you want to get in touch with someone, say at some government agency or something, and you can't find an email address?

Here's a hint. Never send an email to some catch-all address like info@companyname.com. That email address is their excuse to ignore you.

I hate it when I get no email. I go mental when I get too much. Someday, I'm sure, I'll get some kind of Blackberry thing and loose my grip entirely. I know people who thrive getting 300 or so emails everyday. I would snap, no question. I'd be on some news magazine show in four or five years, in my prison orange, telling a sympathetic but ambitious reporter how I don't remember anything after clicking send and receive. But of course I would remember, I'd be lying for the sympathy of the viewers back home. What else do I have to do in prison?

Here's a horrifying thought. They got the email in prison now, don't they? Man.

I gotta say, I can't imagine doing my work without it. It couldn't have been too long ago that people in my field used things like faxes and couriers instead. Maybe I shouldn't complain. It's a little like some old timey oral storyteller complaining about the printing press. "It's a fad, it'll never catch on." Did they have fads then? I know for a while it was popular for men to wear leggings. Now we don't. Does that qualify as a fad that came and went?

Is there some way to tell the difference between a fad and a trend? What about a movement? Can a movement also be a fad?

My cat's cute.

No comments: